Fotografía Cinematográfica

Esta mañana he visto una de las publicidades que hice hace un par de semanas.

La verdad es que me lo pasé súper bien en este rodaje.
No solo porque el tipo de fotografía está totalmente fuera de lo que suelo hacer y eso me encanta si no también porque fue un rodaje tremendamente sencillo y entre amigos.

La única pega que le podría poner es que no han subido la versión etalonada, que tenía un pelín más de contraste y calidez y tampoco emitirán en la tele la version etalonada, así que se queda tal y como está.

Para aquellos que les gustan las cosas técnicas rodé con una Alexa Mini con Cooke Panchro y un diafragma de T4 (más o menos :D) y la rodamos en unas 5 horas.

¡Un saludo!

Última edición:
Hola compis:

Me preguntaba si algun@ de los que aquí presentes dispone de información, si puede ser detallada en la medida de lo posible, de la fotografía de "Seven". Supongo que no existen digitalizaciones de ese número del American Cinematographer, ¿no? Es del año 95.

Cualquier link, reseña, o incluso comentario extenso de alguien que tenga información será más que bienvenido.

¡Muchas gracias!

Un abrazo.

Aquí tienes un trocito de la entrevista en el American:

"The Sins of a Serial Killer" by Williams, David E - American Cinematographer, Vol. 76, Issue 10, October 1995 | Online Research Library: Questia

Puedes comprar dicho magazine en:

1995 / 10 — October Issue of American Cinematographer

O bien puedes echarle un vistazo al libro: "New Cinematographers" de Alex Ballinger donde Darius comenta las técnicas usadas en Seven, entre otras.

Por alguna razón no me deja pegar el enlace de Amazon pero lo encuentras en un segundo.

Seguro que en cualquier biblioteca digna lo tendrán.

Un saludo.

Última edición:
Aquí tienes un trocito de la entrevista en el American:

"The Sins of a Serial Killer" by Williams, David E - American Cinematographer, Vol. 76, Issue 10, October 1995 | Online Research Library: Questia

Puedes comprar dicho magazine en:

1995 / 10 — October Issue of American Cinematographer

O bien puedes echarle un vistazo al libro: "New Cinematographers" de Alex Ballinger donde Darius comenta las técnicas usadas en Seven, entre otras.

Por alguna razón no me deja pegar el enlace de Amazon pero lo encuentras en un segundo.

Seguro que en cualquier biblioteca digna lo tendrán.

Un saludo.

Gracias Miguel Ángel. La revista me sale cara, pero voy a aprovechar con ese libro, que lo he encontrado!

¿Qué quieres saber en concreto? Aquí escribí alguna cosilla sobre esta fotografía. Y tengo el American.

Buena reseña, muchas gracias Harmónica. No especifiqué, pero me interesa sobre todo saber cómo había reforzado los practicals Khondji, cómo había llevado a cabo los kickers, con qué construye la luz en los planos en que los practicals no aparecen y en general lo que implica el trabajo en interiores en cuanto a aparatos de luz. Veo que mencionas algo en dicha reseña en cuanto a pantallas, aunque si dispones de información más detallada aún sería bestial.

Saludos!

Pues hace mucho que no veo Seven, años diría yo.

Pero segurísimo que los interiores día están rodados con HMI's fuera de las ventanas y alguna pantalla de fluorescencia en el interior colgadas desde el techo para reforzar y esticos, e incluso alguno directamente solo con HMI's sin ninguna luz en el interior, que es una práctica muy común ya que permite que haya más contraste y que los actores entren y salgan de las zonas iluminadas, que siempre es bonito para este tipo de historias (y para todas XD)

Como decía un profesor mío: "ventana grande, luz grande; ventana pequeña, luz pequeña".

Un saludo.

Buena reseña, muchas gracias Harmónica. No especifiqué, pero me interesa sobre todo saber cómo había reforzado los practicals Khondji, cómo había llevado a cabo los kickers, con qué construye la luz en los planos en que los practicals no aparecen y en general lo que implica el trabajo en interiores en cuanto a aparatos de luz. Veo que mencionas algo en dicha reseña en cuanto a pantallas, aunque si dispones de información más detallada aún sería bestial.

Saludos!

Te dejo por aquí lo que dice el artículo de Octubre de 1995 de American Cinematographer al respecto. Cualquier cosa más, me comentas:

"The flashlights were normal, though a bit boosted in watt-age after we shot tests. Xenon flashlights are too obvious to me; I wanted a more natural feel than that. We also used a bit of smoke to bring out the beams, but there is very little smoke elsewhere in the film.

"Then we would use Kino Flos as a backlight - a very soft line of light - and Chinese lanterns as top light, our key light. We used that combination often, with one and a half stops to two and a half stops difference between the key and fill.

"We shot the entire film almost wide open, so most interiors would be at f2.5 while the exteriors were 2.8. That made it extremely difficult for focus-pulling, but gave a precise plane to the action, so we could direct the viewer's eye.

"For me, the Gluttony scene was about darkness," Khondji specifies. "When the detectives come into the room, it's very old and shiny - greasy. There is not supposed to be light there. So when they aim their flashlights, the light shines back to them. Turn them off, and the room would be black. The room itself was underexposed, but we would overexpose the flashlight beams to really pick them up, though they were already two to three stops over the room. To have them fill the room a bit, I put bounce cards here and there in the corners and on the floor. I tried using reflector cards, but the look was too vulgar.

"Being under or over a Tew stops is not much normally, but when you are increasing the contrast so dramatically with a special color process, it is a lot - especially when pushing the stock a stop as well."

The Lust victim is found tied to a bed in a brothel, bathed in rich red light, which amplifies the horror by filling the room with a crimson glow. In the center of the space, the naked bulb of a practical lamp acts as the only white light source. "That scene was shot almost in silhouette with the exception of some flashes from a photographer's strobe light," Khondji describes. "There is green light in part of the room, with the mixture becoming completely red at the other side, a very deep red. We decided on those colors because the scene takes place in a whorehouse and we wanted a kind of Hamburg, Germany look - a passionate, violent, almost monochromatic red, like blood. The color scheme reminded me of the Hammer Studios films I saw when I was a kid." Other horror fans might also be reminded of the primary-color nightmares of Italian directors Dario Argento and Mario Bava.

Sloth is exemplified in a particularly nasty scene in which a skeletal victim is found strapped to a bed, emaciated after long weeks of prone captivity. Khondji remembers, "This was a very necrotic, green scene, like being under the bottom of a river - with the feeling that time has passed. It had a moist, fungal look. I added a bit of green gel to all the lights, which were all daylight-balanced, just to give the feeling of angst. As in an Edvard Munch painting, you have this green spectrum, even if there is no green within it. But it was also a very eerie location, in downtown Los Angeles, which had been abandoned for years and filled with lead-based paint and very dangerous. It was perfect, with that feeling of rot.

"The practical lights in the scene were given a bit of red, but for me, a practical is usually orange with a Vi to full CTO or a very cool green. The contrast of color for me is just as important as the contrast of the light intensity. My normal fill light for ambiance is usually color-corrected to match the shadows, to keep the scene cooler."

As in all the scenes featuring victims, the Sloth sequence relied heavily on special make-up effects for an additional element of shock value. Seven was the first time Khondji had shot extensive prosthetics, leading him to trust the experts. "I got along extremely well with our special effects prosthetics artist, Rob Bottin. He was my friend on this movie and a great supporter. Rob would tell me how to light his effects and I would do it because he had a good feeling for what we were doing and such great experience with the materials he uses. When you work with great people, you should listen to them. They are artists and it should be a collaboration.

"Usually when I see creatures in the movies, they are overlit and it doesn't look right," Khondji adds. "A great creator like Rob, who produces amazing work, knows that it is much more important that the effect looks real than for it to be fully seen. That is the only thing. So for the man tied to the bed, we used a sort of contrasty, counter-lit approach I learned by watching the films of Jacques Tourneur: Cat People, I Walked With A Zombie, Curse of the Demon. Those films taught me that you don't have to show and light everything - that the impression of something is far scarier. Rob's work was perfect, but the dark parts were the most important, because you have to imagine what is there."

Tying directly in with Fincher and Khondji's mindset of modernism, the crimes of Pride and Greed stand out starkly, with white surfaces and bright lighting punctuated by pools of blood much like Argento's Tenebrae. "After Gluttony and Sloth, these were totally different situations," the cinematographer says. "The room of the Pride murder was lit entirely from the windows with 20Ks and Dino lights, 24 Par lights, coming through a lot of diffusion. The concept was that there would be no shadows, with the room being just a wall of creamy soft daylight. There were windows in two directions, so there was no need for fill.

Te dejo por aquí lo que dice el artículo de Octubre de 1995 de American Cinematographer al respecto. Cualquier cosa más, me comentas:

"The flashlights were normal, though a bit boosted in watt-age after we shot tests. Xenon flashlights are too obvious to me; I wanted a more natural feel than that. We also used a bit of smoke to bring out the beams, but there is very little smoke elsewhere in the film.

"Then we would use Kino Flos as a backlight - a very soft line of light - and Chinese lanterns as top light, our key light. We used that combination often, with one and a half stops to two and a half stops difference between the key and fill.

"We shot the entire film almost wide open, so most interiors would be at f2.5 while the exteriors were 2.8. That made it extremely difficult for focus-pulling, but gave a precise plane to the action, so we could direct the viewer's eye.

"For me, the Gluttony scene was about darkness," Khondji specifies. "When the detectives come into the room, it's very old and shiny - greasy. There is not supposed to be light there. So when they aim their flashlights, the light shines back to them. Turn them off, and the room would be black. The room itself was underexposed, but we would overexpose the flashlight beams to really pick them up, though they were already two to three stops over the room. To have them fill the room a bit, I put bounce cards here and there in the corners and on the floor. I tried using reflector cards, but the look was too vulgar.

"Being under or over a Tew stops is not much normally, but when you are increasing the contrast so dramatically with a special color process, it is a lot - especially when pushing the stock a stop as well."

The Lust victim is found tied to a bed in a brothel, bathed in rich red light, which amplifies the horror by filling the room with a crimson glow. In the center of the space, the naked bulb of a practical lamp acts as the only white light source. "That scene was shot almost in silhouette with the exception of some flashes from a photographer's strobe light," Khondji describes. "There is green light in part of the room, with the mixture becoming completely red at the other side, a very deep red. We decided on those colors because the scene takes place in a whorehouse and we wanted a kind of Hamburg, Germany look - a passionate, violent, almost monochromatic red, like blood. The color scheme reminded me of the Hammer Studios films I saw when I was a kid." Other horror fans might also be reminded of the primary-color nightmares of Italian directors Dario Argento and Mario Bava.

Sloth is exemplified in a particularly nasty scene in which a skeletal victim is found strapped to a bed, emaciated after long weeks of prone captivity. Khondji remembers, "This was a very necrotic, green scene, like being under the bottom of a river - with the feeling that time has passed. It had a moist, fungal look. I added a bit of green gel to all the lights, which were all daylight-balanced, just to give the feeling of angst. As in an Edvard Munch painting, you have this green spectrum, even if there is no green within it. But it was also a very eerie location, in downtown Los Angeles, which had been abandoned for years and filled with lead-based paint and very dangerous. It was perfect, with that feeling of rot.

"The practical lights in the scene were given a bit of red, but for me, a practical is usually orange with a Vi to full CTO or a very cool green. The contrast of color for me is just as important as the contrast of the light intensity. My normal fill light for ambiance is usually color-corrected to match the shadows, to keep the scene cooler."

As in all the scenes featuring victims, the Sloth sequence relied heavily on special make-up effects for an additional element of shock value. Seven was the first time Khondji had shot extensive prosthetics, leading him to trust the experts. "I got along extremely well with our special effects prosthetics artist, Rob Bottin. He was my friend on this movie and a great supporter. Rob would tell me how to light his effects and I would do it because he had a good feeling for what we were doing and such great experience with the materials he uses. When you work with great people, you should listen to them. They are artists and it should be a collaboration.

"Usually when I see creatures in the movies, they are overlit and it doesn't look right," Khondji adds. "A great creator like Rob, who produces amazing work, knows that it is much more important that the effect looks real than for it to be fully seen. That is the only thing. So for the man tied to the bed, we used a sort of contrasty, counter-lit approach I learned by watching the films of Jacques Tourneur: Cat People, I Walked With A Zombie, Curse of the Demon. Those films taught me that you don't have to show and light everything - that the impression of something is far scarier. Rob's work was perfect, but the dark parts were the most important, because you have to imagine what is there."

Tying directly in with Fincher and Khondji's mindset of modernism, the crimes of Pride and Greed stand out starkly, with white surfaces and bright lighting punctuated by pools of blood much like Argento's Tenebrae. "After Gluttony and Sloth, these were totally different situations," the cinematographer says. "The room of the Pride murder was lit entirely from the windows with 20Ks and Dino lights, 24 Par lights, coming through a lot of diffusion. The concept was that there would be no shadows, with the room being just a wall of creamy soft daylight. There were windows in two directions, so there was no need for fill.

Tremenda aportación. Muchas gracias de verdad! Además de volver a verla el otro día y alucinar con el trabajo fotográfico (y con la peli), dentro de poco hago mi primera práctica en la escuela y me apetecía coger alguna pista que me pudiera servir.

Saludos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lo único que se es que la iluminación para rodar en celuloide (Seven) era tremendamente dificultosa y muchas veces el resultado no era el esperado excepto cuando daba en el clavo,entonces el resultado es poco menos que mágico!

cámara digital con control de exposición ? grabación uniforme?
postproduccion en ordenador?

.....pues bueno,el detalle en sombra ,la intensidad y la limpieza sera perfecta como en "El Renacido" o "Gravity" que se llevo el Oscar pero
vamos dependiendo del tipo de historia "Barry Lyndon o Seven" no lucirían rodadas en digital tan glamurosas,antiguas,ricas como lucen en analogico.....DE Momento!

Es curioso comprobar cómo en los últimos años algunas películas han experimentado con relaciones de aspecto fuera de los habituales scope y flat. Tenemos casos como The Hateful Eight con su 2.76:1, La La Land con 2.55:1, Jurassic World y Café Society con 2:1, Tomorrowland con 2.20:1... incluso The Grand Budapest Hotel jugaba con 3 relaciones de aspecto distintas: flat, scope y sobre todo 1.37:1.

Pero aún quedan más sorpresas. Sofia Coppola ha rescatado el 1.66:1 para su nueva película, The Beguiled. Aparentemente han rodado en 35mm y el DP es Philippe Le Sourd, cuyo último trabajo importante fue The Grandmaster de Wong Kar Wai. Y encima tiene muy buena pinta.

Última edición:
Es curioso comprobar cómo en los últimos años algunas películas han experimentado con relaciones de aspecto fuera de los habituales scope y flat. Tenemos casos como The Hateful Eight con su 2.76:1, La La Land con 2.55:1, Jurassic World y Café Society con 2:1, Tomorrowland con 2.20:1... incluso The Grand Budapest Hotel jugaba con 3 relaciones de aspecto distintas: flat, scope y sobre todo 1.37:1.

Pero aún quedan más sorpresas. Sofia Coppola ha rescatado el 1.66:1 para su nueva película, The Beguiled. Aparentemente han rodado en 35mm y el DP es Philippe Le Sourd, cuyo último trabajo importante fue The Grandmaster de Wong Kar Wai. Y encima tiene muy buena pinta.

Que alegría. Al fin se retoman la variedad en relaciones de aspecto. Y más en concreto el 1:66. Algunos famosos directores del pasado decían que era el formato ideal para el cine.
Sofia a decidido hacer el remake de The Beguiled (1971) que me impresiono mucho cuando vi.

Personalmente, rodar en formatos alternativos a los estandarizados no me gusta. No por los formatos en sí, que pueden ser muy válidos, sino porque todo lo que se salga de un estándar de proyección (1.85:1 - 2.40:1) conlleva problemas. Bien sea por recorte de altura ("Jurassic World" y su 2:1) o lateral ("Hateful Eight"), o incluso porque obliga a mostrar bandas negras en los cines (la película de Tarantino o "La La Land", por ejemplo). En esencia, multiplicas el riesgo de que los multicines exhiban la película de manera incorrecta. ¿Y qué es lo que ganas?

Con respecto al 1.66:1 vs. 1.85:1 o el 2.20:1 vs. el 2.40:1, existen ciertas diferencias, pero opino que son pequeñas y que no justifican el riesgo que supone salirse del estándar.

De esta nueva versión de "The Beguiled" tengo curiosidad por saber las lentes con que han rodado. La distorsión de los fondos en exteriores es parecida a la de los Bausch & Lomb Baltar.

Harmonica, aprovecho que te veo activo para confesarte que sigo esperando a que veas "Carol" :cortina Supongo que como en el caso de "Silencio" no te llama nada, pero por si te animas algún día.

"Carol" está alta en mi lista de prioridades. Y la de Scorsese también la veré, solo que pasaba de ir a verla a un cine más pequeño que la pantalla de mi casa.

Con respecto al 1.66:1 vs. 1.85:1 o el 2.20:1 vs. el 2.40:1, existen ciertas diferencias, pero opino que son pequeñas y que no justifican el riesgo que supone salirse del estándar.
Esto es la clave.

Personalmente no estoy de acuerdo.

Si una historia te pide que la cuentes en 1.66:1 en vez de en 1.85:1, ¿no vas a rodar en 1.85:1 porque "te sales del estándar"?

¿Que problema hay con mostrar bandas negras en la pantalla? que yo sepa se lleva haciendo mucho tiempo y a nadie le ha importado, vamos, ni a Andrea Arnold o a Dolan en tiempos modernos por nombrar a alguien.

La última película que he hecho la he rodado en 1.33:1, se va a proyectar con bandas a los lados y estamos todos tan contentos.. la primera serie que hice como dire de foto de la 2ª unidad la rodamos a 2.20:1.. y se emitió con bandas en la tele.. y da la casualidad que ha sido la mejor serie Irlandesa de los últimos tiempos, y nadie se ha fijado en las bandas.

El último corto que he hecho, hemos rodado desde 1.85:1 hasta 3.40:1, pasando por 2.20 y 2.40 entre medias porque es un aporte más al subtexto de la historia.. y las bandas nos dan igual.

La película que estoy preparando ahora es bastante posible que la rodemos en 1.66:1 y la exhibición con bandas nos importa cero, a la distribuidora, también le importa cero.. y es la mayor distribuidora de UK.

Pienso que es más importante contar una historia con todos los recursos posibles (si los necesitas, claro) y olvidarse de los tecnicismos y las exhibiciones porque, respondiendo a tu pregunta, lo que ganas es personalidad, una manera extra de contar la historia y muestras todavía más tu voz artística y personal como director de fotografía / director, que no es poco :D

Mi opinión, claro :D

Un saludo.

Yo lo que defiendo es que no aportas nada distinto a la audiencia rodando en 1.85:1 que rodando en 1.66:1 o en 1.77:1.

Sí opino que rodar en 1.33, en 1.85:1 o en 2.35:1 aporta muchas diferencias. Pero estos formatos que quedan en tierra de nadie, primero no son percibidos ni conllevan composiciones distintas, y segundo en proyección tienen tendencia a ser "encajados" en los formatos cercanos más estandarizados.

Bueno, tenemos opiniones diferentes, que no es malo :D

Yo si que pienso que hay una gran diferencia, igual a la hora de componer planos generales no tanto, pero a la hora de encuadrar los planos cortos se nota mucho.

En proyección puedes elegir tu formato sin problemas, si ruedas en 1.66 no tiene porque "encajarse" en 1.85, por ejemplo.

Vamos, yo voy a Windmill Lane aquí en Dublín (o a cualquier otra casa de post) y les digo que mi película está en 5:1 (por decir algo extremísimo) y ellos me hacen un DCP para que en el cine (en cualquier cine) se vea en 5:1, no veo el problema.

¡Un abrazo!

Arriba Pie